Houston Car Accident Lawyer
Houston is the largest city in the State of Texas. The area is inhabited by about 6.1 million people making it the 5th largest city in the United States. The number of trucks and passenger vehicles on Houston’s streets and highways has been increasing due to the growing population. The increased number of vehicles has resulted in an increase in the number of accidents. With the ever-growing suburbs traffic congestion is only going to get worse. It is easy to tell from Houston’s traffic patterns that a majority of people drive to work. This has led to Houston becoming more known as a commuter city. Commuter traffic and auto accidents go hand in hand. If you have been injured in a car accident, you need to call Walker Texas Lawyer, Houston’s Car Accident Attorney.
Every 57 seconds an accident occurs in Texas. While road improvements and increased law enforcement has help lessen the number of traffic accidents, nevertheless crashes still take place more often than we would like. This leaves many families shattered due to the death of their loved ones.
Most car accidents are caused by negligence and reckless acts of drivers. Walker Texas Lawyer, Houston’s car accident lawyer believes that you should receive compensation for your loss. Additionally, these drivers must be held accountable. Victims of car accidents should get full and fair compensation for their injuries. Most people who are in an auto accident don’t know what to do or how to go about getting their due compensation. That is why you need to call Walker Texas Lawyer if you are involved in an auto accident.
What causes car accidents
Driving in Houston at certain times can be somewhat dangerous due to the increase in the number of cars, trucks and reckless drivers. News coverage of traffic accidents always high lite the death of those involved. However, they fail to describe the serious disabling injuries that people most often suffer. The main factor involved in these serious accidents is driver negligence. Negligent driving can take place in many forms including:
Speeding is regarded as one of the most common reasons behind the majority of the accidents in Houston and elsewhere. About 640 people die on the Houston roads every year and 2850 people are seriously injured. It has been proven that speeding can deprive you of the ability to apply brakes when required. Moreover, driving fast in conditions such as rain, fog, smoke, smog, etc. can prove to be extremely dangerous. This is one reason that many accidents happen in bad weather conditions.
A number of accidents take place when the driver shows no regard for the safety of others. This may occur by not obeying traffic rules, ignoring the red light at the signal and simply by showing off. Drivers recklessly show off by, among other things, making too sharp of cuts, making dangerous passes on two-lane roads and racing other cars on the road.
Although strict drunk driving laws exist, drivers continue to drink and drive causing severe accidents.
Drugged driving is just as serious as drunk driving because people do not stay in their right state of mind after consuming illegal drugs or prescription drugs. These drugs hamper one’s ability to drive a vehicle safely.
Usage of cell phones and texting while driving also results in causing car accidents all across the U.S., especially Houston. Driving is a serious task and mobile phones should never be used while driving. If it is necessary to use the mobile phone the driver should pull off the road.
When drivers are tired, their reflexes mess up and impair their ability to operate a car. If a driver has fatigue, he/she might fall asleep behind the wheel, not see a car coming toward them or not stop soon enough and hit a car in front of them. Alertness is always required when driving a car, otherwise accidents will occur
Car Accident Information
What happens after a car crash in Houston
If you or any of your family members were in a car accident, certain uncertainties of what to do can weigh on you. Your mind may be full of questions such as: who will pay my bills; do I qualify for compensation; and will I ever receive compensation for my loss. Walker Texas Lawyer will answer all such questions for you. James Walker, the Houston car accident lawyer will evaluate your case. Additionally, he will process any claims and help you get your full compensation. However, there are certain things discussed in the next section that you can do following an accident that will help with your claims.
What steps should I take after a car accident
A series of important steps can be taken right after the accident to help you ensure that you protect all your legal rights:
How will my Car Accident Attorney help
Your car injury attorney will thoroughly investigate the accident to determine who is responsible for the accident. Some of the areas that your lawyer will look into are:
- Was the other driver drunk or drugged?
- Was the other driver using his cell phone while driving?
- Did the other driver speeding over the stated limit or wasn’t following speed limits issued for rough weather?
- Was the driver distracted in some other way than those listed above?
- Was the other driver’s vehicle not in good operating order?
- Could the accident have been prevented in some way?
If the answer to any of the above matters is ‘yes’, then you may be able to successfully file a claim to hold the other driver accountable for their actions because of their negligence. Walker Texas Lawyer will help you understand your rights and options and will work for you to ease the entire process.
What To Do If You Are In A Motor Vehicle Accident
- Check Out your declaration page of your own car insurance policy. This will help you understand the coverage you have and if it may help you with the wreck.
- Notify your own insurance company after you are in a car accident even if it is not your fault.
- At the scene take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the accident scene, the other person’s vehicle and the other driver.
- Keep track of who you speak to Police Officers, Witnesses and all Insurance Adjusters.
- Maintain all receipts for all of your out-of-pocket expenses such as medical expenses, rental car or other expenses caused by the accident.
- In Texas, you will only be entitled to the fair market value of your vehicle on the date of the accident, plus tax title and license if it is totaled out.
- Let your medical providers know that you were in an accident and make sure you keep your explanation of how it occurred short and to the point.
- Do take advantage of free consultations from a qualified personal injury attorney.
What To Avoid If You Are In A Car Accident
- Never give the the other insurance company a recorded or written statement without first speaking to a qualified personal injury lawyer and decided how you are going to proceed.
- Don’t expect the adverse insurance company to be fair. They are out to pay as little as they possibly can on any claim you make.
- Never accept the settlement on what your car is worth, without knowing your cars value.
- Don’t necessarily feel you have to go to the repair facility suggested by the adverse insurance company.
- Don’t get in the middle of the repair process between the shop you choose and the insurance company. Let the shop you trust handle your repairs and let them deal with the adverse insurance company directly. Just make sure the repairs or to your satisfaction when you pick up your car.
- Never consider settling the personal injury claim from an automobile accident until you have got a handle on your personal injuries. Sometimes injuries like whiplash, creep up later and those medical bills and sky rocket. You need to be certain as to the nature and extent of your injuries. Many insurance companies will show up shortly after an accident and offer a small amount that may include “estimated medical expenses”. This tactic is used to take further injuries out of the claim.
- Don’t believe that the words ‘we accept responsibility”, or were going to “pay this claim” means that the insurance carrier intends to be fair with you. It is their hope that you trust them and do not seek out a qualified personal injury lawyer.
- Never give a blanket release of medical records or employment records to the opposing insurance company.
Statute Of Limitations In Texas
In General, the personal injury statute of limitations in Texas is two years from the date of the accident. If you are going to file a lawsuit within this time span. Additionally, you will need to use diligence in attempting to serve the defendant.
There are exceptions that can extend and/or shorten a limitations period. One example of extending the date is called tolling. Time limitations can be extended if the injured individual was a minor at the time of the incident occurred. When they turn 18, the standard two-year statute of limitations becomes active.
Also, if you are in an accident with a governmental entity in Texas there may be certain notice provisions that you must comply with. You must comply with the provisions to sue the governmental entity or employee. Some municipalities have very short notice provisions from a few months to six months. It is very important that you understand the provisions that may apply to such entity.
There are other legal deadlines that can impact a personal injury claim in Texas. One example is a statute of repose for products that are over 15 years old at the time of the accident. This limitation is important in motor vehicle accidents. It can give immunity after certain period of time to foreign manufacturers such as those from China, Korea or Japan.
If you have any issues or questions regarding a potential limitation or the timing of a personal injury claim contact Walker Texas Lawyer Today! He is the Houston Car Accident Lawyer.
What damages are recoverable
If you don’t know much about car accident injuries, you may be wondering what cost and damages can be recovered. While every car accident injury case is unique, certain types of damages are usually recovered from the party at fault.
- All types of medical expenses, including visits to the doctor, surgical treatment, etc.
- Expected future medical expenses, such as long-term treatment or future procedures.
- Pain & suffering, including mental and physical pain.
- Mental stress, such as grief, nervousness, anxiety, etc.
- Lost wages due to time off from work and earning capacity due to the severity of the injury
- Loss of comfort or peace because of the death of a partner
- Loss of any type of property damage.
Why you need the assistance of a Houston car accident lawyer?
It is important to know that before you file for compensation for the damages, you must be able to present a strong and compelling case. Without a strong case that shows how and why the other driver is at fault, you may miss out on compensation that you are otherwise entitled to. Walker Texas Lawyer, the car accident lawyer, will utilize the necessary professionals and tools to analyze your case and if warranted uncover and present the facts necessary to support a strong and compelling claim.
Initially it may seem like that the insurance company representatives are on your side. Although, you should keep in mind that insurance companies are in the business to make a profit and are not in the business to look after your needs. That is why you need a lawyer who you can trust to work in your favor and secure fair compensation.
Walker Texas Lawyer has over 35 years of experience and knows how the damage caused by car accidents can leave a lasting impact on your life. We ensure that our clients receive top-notch representation. We will protect our clients’ legal rights. When you choose Walker Texas Lawyer as your car injury attorney, your case is in good hands. You will receive excellent service that will help you successfully recover all the damages owed to you. With Walker Texas Lawyer you do not pay until you receive your damage payments. Give Walker Texas Lawyer the Houston Car Accident Lawyer a call today for your free consultation.