Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents in the state of Texas. According to TXDOT, statewide, approximately one in five traffic crashes involves driver distraction. Many in Texas are guilty of using their phones while driving, even if they don’t admit it. According to a new study, distracted driving is probably worse than you think, with drivers looking at their smartphones on 88 out of 100 trips.
Talking on a cell phone while driving makes you four times more likely to get into an automobile accident, and texting and driving increases your chances of a crash by up to 8 to 23 times! It may be true that a growing number of drivers are turning to hands-free devices, but studies show that hands free devices provide little safety benefit. It’s the conversation, not the device, that creates the danger. Put down the phone, focus on the road and save a life, perhaps even your own.
Distracted driving is no isolated incident, and the “Talk, Text, Crash” campaign comes coincidentally timed in the wake of that horrific crash just outside Garner State Park that claimed the lives of the First Baptist New Braunfels church just outside San Antonio. Launched March 30, 2017, the campaign aims to educate the public about the perils of distracted driving as part of National Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
Houston Texas Accident Injury Attorney
The Facts by the Numbers:
– In 2011 in Texas, 81,103 crashes involved distraction, inattention, or cell-phone use; 361 of these were fatal. (TxDOT, 2011)
– In 2011 in Texas, cell phone use was the contributing factor in 3,147 crashes and 40 fatal crashes. (TxDOT, 2011)
– In 2009, there were 5,474 people killed and 448,000 injured nationwide in crashes involving distracted driving. (NHTSA, 2009)
– Drivers are 23 times more likely to crash when text messaging behind the wheel. (NHTSA, 2009)
– Nationally, 16 percent of fatal crashes and 20 percent of injury crashes involved reports of distracted driving. (NHTSA, 2009)
– Nationally, 16 percent of all drivers younger than 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported to have been distracted while driving. (NHTSA, 2009)
If you or a loved one have been injured by a car accident as a result of someone else texting and driving, who will be looking out for you? Walker Texas Lawyer will be. The Recklessness of another person can change your life in an instant, and the impact of these decisions can last a lifetime.